Monday, July 2, 2012

Over the river and ........ well you know the rest.




I’m headed to grandmas'. It’s a two mile walk, but I don’t care.  I love, love, love walking the train tracks.  My chores were done early so I asked if I could spend the rest of the day helping grandma in her garden, or picking raspberries, or maybe playing cribbage with grandpa, or whatever. Dad says, “Sure, I’ll come get you after dinner.” 

I am out the door like a shot.

 The lane is sooooooooo long. I swear it’s a mile.  I’ve got a good stride going and then I hear it,

“Aaannnddeeeeee.” 

Damn! “What did I forget?”  Dad must have found something else for me to do.


He yells again, “Aaannndddeee,”
I have no choice; I have to go back. So, I turn around and head back to the house at a, much, much slower pace.  I walk through the door and see dad with that silly, crooked grin on his face and I know what's coming.  Damn it.  I fall for it every time. Well really, I have no choice. I can’t ignore him, he’s my daddy. 

“How far would you have been if I hadn’t stopped you?”

 “Dad!” 

“Love you honey, have a good time.”

“You’re killin’ me dad.” I shoot him back his silly grin and tell him, “Love you too!”

Back out the door and down the lane.  My pace is faster than before to make a clean get away. As I get close to the point he called me back, I turn to see if he’s gonna do it again because he has before, many times.  I wait for it..............but not this time.  He thinks he’s so damn funny.

I smile and pick up my pace. 


He kinda is.



1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I love this story!

    You have a knack for these kinds of vignettes, Andee. You really do.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete