Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Slyrup




Slyrup (sl-ur-up) noun A sweet, gritty, frothy concoction designed to enhance buttermilk pancakes and helps guarantee that friends will never want to come back once watching its creation and ultimate consumption.

Slyrup was created out of ingenuity.  On our farm nothing went to waste.  When an overabundance of one thing is present, what’s a farmer to do but figure out creative ways to use them up.  Simply put, slyrup is whipped eggs and sugar. Farm fresh eggs, still warm from the chicken, are cracked open revealing the deep golden color of the yolk, much richer than any store-bought egg can produce. I’d say a half a dozen will do for this morning’s meal so I’ll use a medium to large sized bowl.  Grab the egg beater and start whipping until the eggs are at least triple in size and a lovely, frothy consistency. Grab a healthy scoop of sugar by using the biggest serving spoon you can find in the drawer and let it cascade in sheets over the froth.  Whip until the sugar and eggs are all one beautiful, golden concoction.  Voila! Quite a creative use for an overabundance of eggs wouldn’t you say?
Slyrup, as I remember it, was delicious. The only downfall of it was the consistency.  The sugar didn’t dissolve completely so it was a little gritty, but sugar gritty is fine.  Hey, it’s sugar; you can’t go wrong with sugar.   Once the eggs and sugar are mixed together the frothiness turns to….well…..something else. Slyrup has a shiny but stringy consistency that when poured has to be ‘pinched’ in the middle, otherwise you get the entire bowlful on your pancake. Other than that, it’s fantastic if you don’t think about the eggs being raw.
To this day I can’t bring myself to recreate the frothy concoction even though I’ve had farm fresh eggs in which to do it. It’s still raw eggs. However, if you are a very frugal person with an overabundance of eggs or just have someone you’d rather not have over ever again, make a nice big batch of buttermilk pancakes, whip up some slyrup in front of them, pour and pinch a healthy portion on top of their pancake and set it right in front of them.  Serve yourself up, then dig in and eat hearty. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad we never have pancakes when I stay overnight! Of course, I'd still stay, I'd just make sure I grabbed the Mrs. Butterworth's on my way out the door!!

    ReplyDelete